At the official invitation of His Excellency Dr. Ali Larijani, Speaker of the Iran parliament Her Excellency Mrs. Meira Kumar, Speaker of House of Representatives (Lok Sabha) of India paid an official visit to Iran from11-15 ababn 1390 ( November 2-6, 2011). She led a high ranking parliamentary delegation. Both sides discussed ways to expand and strengthen friendly relations, particularly parliamentary cooperation between the two countries.
During this visit, Her Excellency Mrs. Kumar met and exchanged views with His Excellency Dr. Larijani. She is also scheduled to meet President of the Islamic Republic of Iran, H.E. Dr. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad during the visit.
The discussions were held in a friendly atmosphere and the issues of mutual interest discussed include: expansion of bilateral relations, regional and international developments and the necessity of having regular talks and consultations between the Parliaments of the two countries. They agreed on the following:
1. Given the cultural and historical commonalities existing between the two nations and considering the friendly relations between the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Republic of India, both sides agreed to expand and strengthen the relations between the two countries in economic, political and cultural fields.
2. Both sides considered strengthening mutual relations between the Parliaments and people of the two countries as an important factor for expanding the relations between the two States and stressed on the promotion of cooperation between the Specialized Committees and Commissions of the two Parliaments and Parliamentary Friendship Groups of the two countries and encouraged periodical exchange of parliamentary delegations.
3. Both sides agreed on the need for the promotion of the level of economic and cultural relations between the two countries particularly in the fields of energy and tourism.
4. Both sides expressed their interest for having further cooperation between the Parliaments of the two countries at the forum of the Inter Parliamentary Union.
5. Both sides emphasized that the Parliaments of the two countries should support fight against extremism and terrorism in the region and expressed their readiness for providing appropriate legal grounds in this regard.
6. Both sides expressed their deep concern on the increase of narcotic drugs trafficking in the region and supported the promotion of cooperation between the concerned sectors of the two countries for countering against poppy cultivation and trafficking of drugs in the region.
7. While both sides emphasized on the importance of regional cooperation, at the same time stressed on collective cooperation of all the countries of the region for creating conditions for sustainable development and strengthening and maintaining security in the region.
8. Both sides stressed the need for promotion of democracy by strengthening Parliamentary Institutions. In this regard, they supported increased Parliamentary exchanges between the two countries.
9. The Parliaments of the two countries called for the implementation of Agreements and MOUs concluded between the two countries and agreed to facilitate the process of adoption of these agreements in their Parliaments.
10. In the field of exchanging information and scientific researches, both sides agreed to perform joint researches in fields of mutual interest and to exchange the result of their studies between the centers affiliated to the Parliaments of the two countries.
11. Both sides agreed to exchange eminent experts between the Parliaments of the two countries in order to exchange organizational experiences, promote administrative systems by using modern technologies and updating law-making process.
12. Both sides agreed that the parliaments of the two countries to hold joint seminars on issues of mutual interests.
13. In order to further strengthen cultural exchanges between the two countries, both sides agreed to take necessary measures for making cooperation between the libraries of the Parliaments of the two countries for exchanging historical books and documents.
14. Her Excellency Mrs. Meira Kumar, Speaker of Lok Sabha of the Republic of India expressed her gratitude and appreciation to His Excellency Dr. Ali Larijani, Speaker of the Iran parliament for the warm and sincere hospitality extended to her during this visit. She invited His Excellency Dr. Larijani to pay an official visit to India. The invitation was accepted and the dates will be finalized through diplomatic channels.